The Allagash River has been enjoyed by paddlers and sportsmen for over 100 years. Since the mid-1960’s the Allagash River has been preserved and managed as a State park. The many Ranger stations and Rangers that work along the river corridor assist paddlers, maintain campsites and character of the river. Several sights of significance are worthy of traveling to such as: polar ice caves, locomotives at Eagle Lake or Allagash Falls. With many access points you can choose a trip length and river section that fits your paddling style and we are happy to discuss the many options you have.Our Transportation service means that you drive to our base in the town of Allagash where the Allagash and St. John Rivers meet, we will load your gear into our vehicle and drive you to the desired starting point on the river to start your paddle back to Allagash. You have the choice to camp on our property, rent a cabin the night before your trip or drive in the day you arrive.Our Shuttle service means that you drive into your desired starting point with your vehicle and we drive it to Allagash or another location while you are paddling on the river. In most cases we ask that you to mail a key to us prior to the trip along with a description of the vehicle and deposit. Prices are based per vehicle with a discount for multiple vehicles.
Helpful Resources & Links
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail information and maps: www.northernforestcanoetrail.org
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway, Bureau of Parks and Lands, 207-941-9014 – free map
- Streamflow information for the Allagash and St. John : Click Here
- AWW brochure: www.maine.gov/doc/parks/parksinfo/allagash/colorbrochure.pdf
- Maine fishing license: http://www.maine.gov/ifw
Canoe Landing / Locating Your Vehicle
Our private canoe landing and vehicle parking for our customers is easy to find and free for your convenience. To locate the landing you will paddle all the way to the end of the Allagash river, go under the bridge and hug the right shore of the river paddle about 1/4 mile and you will see a sign indicating our landing it will say “Allagash Guide Service Canoe Landing”, stay to the far right, there will be a big island to the left. Your vehicle will be parked in the field on top of the hill from the landing, you can drive your vehicle down to the river where your canoe is pulled ashore.
Here is the gps coordinates to find the landing: 47° 5’3.09″N 69° 2’20.48″W
|Transportation Rate|| Allagash River Access Points
|$290.00||Allagash Lake / Johnson Pond – 7 days / 95 miles||$205.00|
|$275.00||Chamberlain Bridge – 7 days / 93 miles||$190.00|
|$275.00||Indian Stream – 6 days / 80 miles||$190.00|
|$260.00||Churchill Dam – 4 – 5 days / 62 miles||$175.00|
|$230.00||Umsaskis Thoroughfare – 3 days / 53 miles||$160.00|
|$150.00||Round Pond – 2 days / 32 miles||$105.00|
|$65.00||Michaud Farm – 1 day / 17 miles||$50.00|
Cabin Rental – cabins are available for rent in Allagash Village for the night prior to your trip or the night you get off the river, the cost is $80.00 per night for 2 people, $100.00 for4 people, if more than 4 people add $10.00 per person.
Outfitting Packages: These packages are designed for paddlers that are traveling from long distances and find it difficult to travel with the necessary gear needed for a river trip. Outfitting packages are designed to make your planning and packing easier and more simple. Gear includes: canoe, paddles, pfd’s, tent, cooking gear, water filter and jug, tent, sleeping pad, gas stove, lantern, tarp, dry bags, cooler and ice, map, saw, trip planning, cabin before trip, transportation, camping fees, access fees and taxes. Meals are also available at a cost of $35.00 per person per day.
Outfitting Package for 2 people: Package for 4 people:
2 days $340.00 each 2 days $240.00 each
3 days $395.00 each 3 days $270.00 each
5 days $460.00 each 5 days $340.00 each
6 days $495.00 each 6 days $390.00 each
7 days $525.00 each 7 days $430.00 each
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway Camping Fees: Resident $6.00 / Non – Resident $12.00
- North Maine Woods charges a one time access fee: Resident $7.00 / Non – Resident $12.00
- Chase Rapids: For a fee of $10.00 the Ranger will shuttle your gear and canoe around the rapids.
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway has special regulations on group sizes and boat dimensions, please visit their site for details: www.state.me.us/cgi-bin/doc/parks
- Canoe and Kayak rentals: we rent a variety of Old Town Canoe size and models depending on your need. All canoe and kayak rentals include paddles and vests, cost is $25.00 per day per boat.
- We are located ½ mile from the confluence of the Allagash and St. John Rivers, parking during your trip and camping on our premises is free.
Allagash River Map View PDF Map