The Allagash River has been enjoyed by paddlers and sportsmen for over 100 years. Since the mid-1960’s the Allagash River has been preserved and managed as a State park. The many Ranger stations and Rangers that work along the river corridor assist paddlers, maintain campsites and character of the river. Several sights of significance are worthy of traveling to such as: polar ice caves, locomotives at Eagle Lake or Allagash Falls. With many access points you can choose a trip length and river section that fits your paddling style and we are happy to discuss the many options you have.Our Transportation service means that you drive to our base in the town of Allagash where the Allagash and St. John Rivers meet, we will load your gear into our vehicle and drive you to the desired starting point on the river to start your paddle back to Allagash. You have the choice to camp on our property, rent a cabin the night before your trip or drive in the day you arrive.Our Shuttle service means that you drive into your desired starting point with your vehicle and we drive it to Allagash or another location while you are paddling on the river. In most cases we ask that you to mail a key to us prior to the trip along with a description of the vehicle and deposit. Prices are based per vehicle with a discount for multiple vehicles.
Helpful Resources & Links
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail information and maps: www.northernforestcanoetrail.org
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway, Bureau of Parks and Lands, 207-941-9014 – Click Here
- Streamflow information for the Allagash and St. John : Click Here
- AWW Conditions & Map: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/water_activities/aww-river-conditions.shtml
- Maine fishing license: http://www.maine.gov/ifw
Canoe Landing / Locating Your Vehicle
Our private canoe landing and vehicle parking is provided as a convenience and reserved for our customers only. The landing is located on the west (left) side of the river, approximately 1.5 miles before the bridge in Allagash Village. You will see a sign indicating our landing it will say “Allagash Guide Service Canoe Landing“. Your vehicle will be parked in the large field near the landing. You will be able to drive your vehicle to the river to load your gear.
Here are the GPS coordinates to find the landing: 47° 04′ 59.9″ N 69° 03′ 35.2″ W
|Transportation Rate|| Allagash River Access Points||Shuttle Rate|
|$290.00||Allagash Lake / Johnson Pond – 7 days / 95 miles||$255.00|
|$275.00||Chamberlain Bridge – 7 days / 93 miles||$240.00|
|$275.00||Indian Stream – 6 days / 80 miles||$240.00|
|$260.00||Churchill Dam – 4 – 5 days / 62 miles||$195.00|
|$230.00||Umsaskis Thoroughfare – 3 days / 53 miles||$185.00|
|$150.00||Round Pond – 2 days / 32 miles||$115.00|
|$90.00||Michaud Farm – 1 day / 17 miles||$75.00|
Prices for transportation include ONE to FOUR paddlers, additional paddlers after four up to eight are $20 per paddler. For groups of 9 or more, you are charged an additional transportation rate to your destination, as we use two vehicles to bring your group in. Please ask if you have any questions.
Cabin Rental – cabins are available for rent in Allagash Village for the night prior to your trip or the night you get off the river, the cost is $80.00 per night for 2 people, $100.00 for 4 people, if more than 4 people add $20.00 for each additional person staying in same cabin.
To view the Allagash Wilderness Waterway and North Maine Woods current fee’s please visit this link http://www.northmainewoods.org/aww-prc-fees.html or call headquarters in Ashland at 207-435-6213.
- Chase Rapids: For a fee of $10.00 the Ranger will shuttle your gear and canoe around the rapids.
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway has special regulations on group sizes and boat dimensions, please visit their site for details: www.state.me.us/cgi-bin/doc/parks
- Canoe and Kayak rentals: we rent a variety of Old Town Canoe size and models depending on your need. All canoe and kayak rentals include paddles and vests, cost is $35.00 per day per boat.
- We are located ½ mile from the confluence of the Allagash and St. John Rivers, parking during your trip and camping on our premises is free.
Allagash River Map View PDF Map
Want to take a river trip but don’t have the gear?
Let us help with our Canoe Trip Outfitting Packages
Our canoeing packages provide you with all the equipment you need to enjoy and trip down either the Allagash or St. John River
Leave the equipment worries to us with our complete Outfitting & Equipment Rental packages